In our evangelical churches, we train Believers to present the Gospel. However, not one of the witnessing courses I have taken has prepared me to witness to Jewish people.
When you present the Gospel to Jewish people, there is a special consideration that you should keep in mind. The Jewish person will not consider the New Testament authoritative. He or she will consider the New Testament to be a Gentile book that teaches about the Gentile "god" and is not for the Jew.
I can understand the distrust when Jews are confronted and confused with the “New Testament”, Even the Jews seem to be stuck in a rut though. The Law of Moses, and all the statutes, were honoured by the Jews for years. But even Moses’ Law practised every day, burnt offerings, washing of hands, etc were only meant of temporary obedience, and very difficult to practice every day of one’s life..
Moses' law was the temporary, ceremonial law of the Old Testament. It regulated the priesthood, sacrifices, rituals, meat and drink offerings, etc., all of which foreshadowed the “crucifixion”. This law was added, "Till the seed should come," and that seed was Messiah Yeshua, the corner stone that was rejected.
Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made: and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are by workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Genesis 21:12 And God said unto Abraham, “Let it not be grievous in they sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
The ritual and ceremony of Moses' law pointed forward to Christ's sacrifice. When He died, this law came to an end, but the Ten Commandments (God's law) "stand fast for ever and ever."
7. The works of His hand are verity and judgement; All His commandments are sure.
8. They stand fast forever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (Gentile)
Like the Jews, the Christians also seem to be in a rut. They follow the New Testament, but know or understand very little of the Old Testament and therefore comply to the milk of the word as opposed to the meat. Conversely The Jews cling to the Old Testament because “the Jewish person feels the New Testament is unreliable.”
This can be dangerous, because only studying the “New Testament, or the Old Testament” leaves people open to false doctrine being imparted by so called Academics; and congregations accepting it as truth without even checking it out for themselves.
Also, how would anyone understand Gen 1:27 why; God created man in His own image, male and female created he them.
And again in Gen 2:7 Created another …and the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground. ‘Ādām, denotes his origin, as being made from the “dust of the adamah” ground (Latin homo). This formed man was to be the important lineage of Messiah Yeshua from the Old Testament was the New Adam through to Mary (The Virgin) and Joseph of the House of Jesse in the New Testament, to be born of a virgin, and to take away the sins of the world. This is just one very important fact from God’s Word, the KJV Holy Bible. But do not take my word for it, check it out first for yourself, and use the right tools.
http://www.godsplan.org.uk/appendixes.htm Appendixes bears out what I am saying here, what is written, as to what is being told; by people who have really no idea.
Ezekiel 37:15-28 places Gods Words before you better than anything I can come up with, and only serves to prove that an ongoing daily study of the whole of the Bible shall bring rewards for all.
Ezekiel 38, to 48 reveals Armageddon. New Jerusalem, Tabernacle, and God’s Sanctuary in our midst etc, in the OLD TESTAMENT.
15. The word of the LORD came again unto me saying,
16. “Moreover thou son of man , take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick,
17. And join them one to another into one stick ; and they shall become one in thine hand.
18. And when the children of thy people shall speak unto thee, saying, “Wilt thou not shew us what thou meanest by these?
19. Say unto them. `Thus saith the Lord GOD; “`Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim , and the tribes of Irael his fellows, (Ephraim UK, Manassah, U.S.A, Canada, Australia South Africa etc). and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in Mine hand.”
20. And the sticks whereon thou writest shall be in thine hand before their eyes.
21. And say unto them, “Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land.:
22. And I will make them one nation in the land upon the nations of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all:
23. Neither shall they defile themselves anymore with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all dwelling places, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be My People, and I will be their God.
24. And David My servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in My judgements, and observe My statutes, and do them.
25. And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob My servant, wherin your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children’s children for ever: and My servant David shall be their prince for ever.
26. Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant.: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set My sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.
27. My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be My People.
28. And the heathen shall know that I the LORD do sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary shall be in the midst of them.
Ezekiel 48 : 35 It was round about eighteen thousand measures: and the name of the city from that day shall be The LORD is there.
35. The LORD (is) there: denoting the fact that Jehovah has gone thither and rests There, with all His blessing, peace, security, and glory of His abiding prescence . Yehovah Shammah. Those who read this book, and believe what God has here written for our learning, shall not be troubled with all the puerile guesses and trifling comments of the natural man, but understand something of the grand revelations which can only be spiritually discerned (to detect with senses other than vision).
Order of Encampment. http://www.godsplan.org.uk/Order%20of%20Encampment.htm
The mistake is presenting the Gospel using the New Testament alone. Put yourself in the shoes of a Jewish person by considering this scenario.
A Mormon presents to you his beliefs out of the Book of Mormon. He has struck out before he begins because you do not consider his book to be the truth. Likewise, the Jewish person feels the New Testament is unreliable.
Genesis is the seed plot of the whole Bible. It is essential to the true understanding of its every part. It is the foundation on which Divine Revelation rests; and on which it is built up. It is not only the foundation of all Truth, but it enters into, and forms part of, all subsequent inspiration; and is at once the warp and woof of Holy writ.
Genesis is quoted or referred to sixty times in the New Testament; and Divine authority is set like a seal on its historical facts
The solution is to present the Gospel from the Old Testament. The "Good News" is clearly evident within its pages.
But very fragmented, and would be extremely unintelligible to the layman, but understandable (perhaps) to the Jewish authors of the Talmud. (The Talmud is a central text of mainstream Judaism ) But is not the Gospel to be preached to everyone including the Jew & Gentile?
The following is a suggested presentation of the "Good News" from the Old Testament. Your Jewish friend has no choice but to accept this presentation authoritative because it is from his own Bible.
Good news for whom? Is this excluding or including the Gentiles? So if your response was to be the, Gentiles should learn more of the Old Testament, then should not that also apply to the Jews and the New Testament.?
1. All have sinned
Psalm 14:2-3 The Lord has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, who seek after
God. They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt; There is no one who does good, not even one.
2. The consequence of sin is death
Ezekiel 18:4 Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine. The soul who sins will die.
3. The sinner can escape punishment if a substitute dies in his place
Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.
4. Messiah is the ultimate substitute
Isaiah 53:6 All of us like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; but the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all to fall on Him.
5. To receive forgiveness personally, we must trust God the way our father Abraham did
Then he (Abraham) believed in the Lord; and He reckoned it to him a righteousness.
6. Today, the only proper object of our trust is Messiah Yeshua
But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name.
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.
As you can see, the Good News" is absolutely Biblical and Jewish as well. Have fun and may God be with you.
Messiah Yeshua when preaching in the Temple referred to the Old Testament sixty times to present the gospel to the Sanhedrin. All the time they were sitting with Him they were plotting to destroy Him. It must be pointed out here that these were the Pharisees and Sadducees, Cain’s children the Kenites, and were not Jews. The people however were Jews; instructed by the Pharisees and Sadducees to choose Barabbas (a murderer) over Christ, they chose Barrabbas.
All the multitude of people shouted, “His blood be on us, and our children.” Well it has been, and a lot more to come. This horrible situation comes about mainly due to ignorance of God’s Word. It was prophesied in Genesis 3:15, in that well-known prophecy;
Genesis 3:15 “And I will put enmity between thee (Satan) and the woman, and between thy seed and her Seed; (Messiah Yeshua) It shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise His heel.”
God’s Word is available to everyone, but to date Satan is in the ascendancy and is hiding, and disguising this very fact by distracting God’s People with all kind’s of gadgets and tricks, leaving their minds wide open to Satan’s cretin’s, and false prophets. Most people today have very little understanding of the Bible, (Jews & Gentiles) and could not care less; but very shortly all that will change. So it is understandable why the Jewish People feel the New Testament is unreliable.
To understand God’s Word in it’s entirety one must study dilligently, and be guided by the Holy Spirit which is given by the grace of GOD Only then can the Gospel be preached with confidence, from Genesis to Revelation, using the Old and New Testaments, with understanding to those who have eyes to see, and ears to hear.
Mark 8:18 Having eyes, see ye not? And having ears, hear ye not? And do ye not remember?
Christ went through a wide range of insults, mocking, taunting, degradation, debilitating torture, and humiliation, and to follow Messiah Yeshua in all His ways will be to suffer the same persecutions He did.
To sum up then, it is so important for Jews and Christians to comprehend fully the extent of the Holy Bible through prayer to God, and His son Christ, and by following the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Also the use of the correct books will be an invaluable asset.
Books like The Companion Bible K.J.V; with margins written by Ethelbert William Bullinger (December 15, 1837 - June 6, 1913) he was a Vicar of the Church of England, Biblical scholar, and dispensationalist theologian. Also the Massorah is included and prevents any unauthorised insertions or extractions.
Also Strongs Concordance of the Bible. There are lots of other reference books but these two in particular will help you immensely to go as deep as you wish. Only then will you begin to understand God’s Word by checking out ill informed doctrines, and false prophets, from any direction, and by doing so have eyes to see, and ears to hear.